CMAS offers a place to post jobs related to atmospheric science, atmospheric modeling, meteorological modeling, and climate modeling. If you would like to post a job here, please email the job information to email@example.com. Make sure that you include an expiration date in your job description. If the position is hiring until filled, we will post it for 2 months, and you can ask to repost if needed.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ONE (1) PHOTOCHEMICAL MODELING POSITION AT GEORGIA DNR [APPLY]
Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Environmental Protection Division - Air Protection Branch - Atlanta, GA
This position is located in the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD) – Air Protection Branch – Planning and Support Program – Data and Modeling Unit (DMU) located in Atlanta, Georgia. The DMU applies advanced air quality models to simulate the transport and fate of pollutants in the atmosphere to support state air quality rulemaking packages, State Implementation Plan submittals and development of emission control strategies. The incumbent in this position may be required to utilize programs and elements of Sparse Matrix Operator Kernel Emissions (SMOKE), Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES), and NONROAD emissions models; Weather Research and Forecast (WRF) meteorological model; Positive Matrix Factorization (PMF) and Chemical Mass Balance (CMB) observational models; Community Multiscale Air Quality (CMAQ) and Comprehensive Air Quality Model with Extensions (CAMx) photochemical grid models; global climate models; health benefits models; and Visualization Environment for Rich Date Interpretation (VERDI) to view modeling results. The successful candidate will also have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Preference may be given to applicants with:
- Advanced degree (Master's or Ph.D.)
- Strong background in emissions inventory development, emissions control technologies and/or emissions modeling
- Strong background in meteorological modeling, observational based modeling, numerical modeling and/or air quality modeling
- Familiar with EPA rules and guidance related to emission inventory development and/or air quality modeling
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong background in scientific computer programming (FORTRAN, Python), database management (MS ACCESS, MYSQL), Geographic Information System (GIS) and/or experience with Linux and Unix